Mar 25, 2009

Its funny how very small things that happen to people by accident change the whole course of their lives. I have to admit that the first two weeks in Germany were not a lot of fun. More so, because I had been to Stuttgart earlier and lived for a week which meant the whole thrill of being in a totally new city was absent. The lab mates are fun. 3 of us in one room. Little choice do they have. Like it or not, we must spend at least 2 years together. Its been good thus far.

German sucks. I cant follow a word, speak a word, read a word! Its hard to shop. Language is alright. I can mime my way through. I ll get round it. Little interaction with locals anyway.
Plus the added onus to eat vegetarian. Wasted a good 10 euros by now on things I thought were veg but turned out otherwise. Damn! That was my only problem really.FOOD.

Until, of course, I chased absolute strangers, who looked like Indians, hoping to get directions to a supermarket and buy my usual dose (Term used deliberately. Describes food here) on a street I wasn't even supposed to be on. The lord showed mercy. They uttered those divine words. "There's an Indian shop nearby."

There it was! I found it. All the dals, the spices, the vegetables, aloo methi, matar paneer, rajma, chhole, rotis, parathas. This was bliss. And what great bliss. Weirdly enough, a conversation I once had in IISc flashed. When I was too lazy to move when the whole group was heading to the IISc mess I had not registered with. Someone uttered "Ice-cream as dessert" and I went along. What followed was a line that has stuck with me. "Sridhar, Is food the only reason you decide to come along with us?". This was Angika. I remember. I doubt if she does. Also, I never ate anything in that mess. I dont know why but this line has stayed with me and in that shop I was thinking that it might actually be true! But, that was most probably the rush of blood on seeing that I could finally spend three years comfortably digesting food that my genes are supposed to react to. I think I owe Priya, MTR, and the likes a very big thank you for saving my career! I spent like mad. And have been eating loads, sleeping, working far more smoothly ever since. Life-changing? Of course!

3 comments:

sujaan said...

situations mould us to be a better we...so congrats!

Angika said...

I like this post, because it has my name in it :D No, seriously, good point. You only realize the worth of good food when you don't get it! Actually, you realize the worth of a lot of things when you don't have them :) Also, you realize how dispensable some things are are when you don't have them too :D Btw, I do remember saying that :)

sridhar said...

@sujaan: better. better what? cooks? then thats a lie.

@angika: what is it with the smileys? feel free to sound as rude as you will ":D"00. The point is about getting food that "can be digested". Good food is a rarity. That I have come to terms with from the day I joined college.